Claudia's Reviews > Tweak: Growing Up On Methamphetamines

Tweak by Nic Sheff

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: memoir, 2011-book-challenge-150-books
Read from February 01 to 02, 2011

"Yeah, I'm definitely a drug addict - but, uh, it's kinda working for me right now. I mean, I know it's gonna end badly -- but I gotta see this through." This isn't the best book on addiction I've read, but I think it's the most honest. Nic tells his story from the first day he ends his sobriety, through several horror-filled journeys throughout California, on to Las Vegas, and finally to a treatment center that treats Nic's past, his present -- his addiction and his emotional disabilities. Some of his reflections about what it was like to feel so alone, to not belong, must be what so many other addicts feel. His story reminded me time and again of REQUIEM FOR A DREAM...and as strong a reader as Sheff is, he may mean for us to make that conclusion. I chuckled, as he intended, when he sees James Frey's book being used at a pillow by a fellow inmate in a treatment center.

Sheff didn't have to fall as far as others because of his parents' power and wealth, but he DOES fall, he DOES lose so much. THis is a cautionary tale that makes you cringe...I would imagine there's much here an addict would recognize. I wonder if his analysis could be used to help others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tweak.

02/01/2011 page 170