karen's Reviews > Zombicorns

Zombicorns by John Green

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: death-is-not-the-end, i-am-a-girl, why-yes-i-ya
Read on February 01, 2011

so it automatically loses a star for false advertising. do not put a unicorn on the cover unless there is actually a unicorn to be had. cheap shot, john green - you know i am a girl and as such, genetically inclined towards all things unicorn. but it automatically gains a star for being a free download which is a generous thing for an author to do (and this from someone who hates reading on the computer - you see what the "promise" of a unicorn will do). even though it was short, i had to read it in a couple of installments because of the yuk of reading on a computer, during one pause of which someone said to me "you know there are no unicorns in it, right??" (no, ma'am, i did not) but i continued!!

turns out, it is about corn. and zombies. so - zombicorn. guess that would not have made as arresting a book cover. if i know how to photoshop stuff, there would be a really cool picture here.

another star just for john green. i have only read one of his books, but i really liked it (even though i don't usually go for "realistic" teen fiction), and i hear such great things about his other books, and about him as a person. and did you know he was born exactly one day after me?? fact. there is something about his writing that makes me want to lay my head in his lap, but in the way a kitten would, not LGM. just like, "and tell me another story, please, john..."

there isn't too much to say about it except this is a great short story, with very sympathetic characters, a bizarre premise, and some sweetness and some humor along the way. it's free, dude, just read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombicorns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Crimson Fucker if you had an Ipad or a whatever the other one is called you wouldn't have to read in the computer!! i think this is a sign from the gods telling you to get one!

kindle!! the other one is called kindle!! or something like that!

karen i do not recognize those gods. they are just robots passing themselves off as gods.

The Crimson Fucker ok... how about this!

if you wake up tomorrow and those false gods as you call em decided to play a cruel joke on you... and you are cursed now to roam this earth without ever being able to read any print in paper book... but only the stuff in computer screens and Ereaders... what would you do:

A: get an Ipad and join the apple snob club.
B: get a Kindle and show some loyalty to your employers...
C: go with the audio books.
D: killing spree
1*: pull of a Karsa and go searching for those gods and kill em
2: blame Atiba.

*: i dont know the ABC and im not sure what follows D is either E or F i'm not sure!

karen nook. nook is the bn product. kindle is amazon.

lemme think about that while i am getting ready for work. hold, please.

The Crimson Fucker ha! you know more about that shit that i do!!!!! guahahahah!! you my new Ereader expert!

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam We had zombie corn in Indiana. It is not edible.

karen doofus - i work in "the industry". and it comes up in school. but ummm i guess A. for the cool hand movements.

wait - there is really zombie corn??

message 8: by Miriam (new)

Miriam

karen hahahha wonderful!!

The Crimson Fucker no killing spree!?

karen well, it wouldn't accomplish anything. any killing spree will be unrelated to that particular situation.

The Crimson Fucker who are you and what you did to Karen!?

karen no, i will still go on a killing spree, but for different reasons, is all...

never fear

The Crimson Fucker who said anything about fear!!!? killing sprees are fun! and you can claim dementia if you have a good excuse for it!

message 15: by Mariel (new)

Mariel You can always blame that toxic butter they add to popcorn in movie theatres. Corn becomes like the rat Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (I know that Shredder is really the baddie. I call the rat Shredder to piss off a guy in "real life". The habit stuck.)

karen i eat salad at the movies. it is healthy.

message 17: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I haven't had movie popcorn in years. The stuff even smells radioactive. We don't have the option of salad in the south, though.

karen oh, neither do we - i sneak it in because i am a criminal!!

message 19: by Mariel (new)

Mariel hahahha! I'm so paranoid about doing that. I think I'm going to be the only person they catch and banned from all movie theatres forever. We only have three theatres and two are owned by the same company. :( Oh, well there's the playhouse that sometimes shows movies, and the student center. But I don't go there because there are large groups of people talking during the whole movie in Korean. It is distracting to try and eavesdrop when I don't speak Korean.

karen hahaahha banned for life!!! that would indeed be tragic, for someone who watches as many films as you. no one seems to care here. if they had better options, i would totally buy their food, but they are tooo yukky

message 21: by Mariel (new)

Mariel It would! I've snuck into movies when hating another movie and the whole time I was in crazy cold sweats. It wasn't even worth it. The second choice would suck just as hard!

message 22: by Mariel (new)

Mariel I saw Sleepers too but my mom took me to see it so I didn't have to sneak in. I agree it was traumatizing!

Kwesi 章英狮 Zombiiiessss but with horns!

karen but with corns

Kwesi 章英狮 O Ya, forgot that, corn cab with stalks. I can't imagine that Zombicorns are herbivores, hikhik.

karen these are like a whole new kind of zombie. check it out, it is really fun!

message 27: by Joel (new)

Joel that is like the opposite problem going on with this book.

it's about giant killer unicorns, yet the unicorn on the cover is barely seeable.

karen i am looking at the book, longingly, right now. i really want to read it.

message 29: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Feb 03, 2011 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 I checked the book page and Waaa almost of my friends read it! I'm a hell outdated reader.

karen hahaha catch up!!

Kwesi 章英狮 Currently reading. Is this book available with written pages and hard cover?

karen hmmm good question. if it is, i would like it.

message 33: by J (new)

J My daughter wrote a book called Zombie Unicorn in kindergarten. You would love it, karen.

karen scan it, jen!!!

karen sorry - i was at work,where i can't see pictures, and i misread this as "jen", and i thought it was miss jen fisher.

ahem: "scan it, j!!"

message 36: by J (new)

J You can call me Jen Fisher if you want. I'm not picky. :)

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen Me either.

What are the odds that I actually did scan something that day?

karen i hope you did. then i could feel like i has teh power!

message 39: by J (new)

J I hope you did, Jen. Then I can feel a little less shamefaced that I didn't.

Stefan About the unicorn cover, if you click on other editions there's one featuring corn prominently with a skyscraper in the background.

karen there is!! but that one is boooooring

Stefan and most noticeably it lacks zombies!!