Allison's Reviews > Scar Tissue

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis

Feb 01, 2011

bookshelves: non, rock

My brother introduced me to a lot of great music when I was about nine years old, like Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Seven Mary Three, and ... the Chili Peppers! They're a band I've always loved, but have never been obsessive about. (Only a select few reach that level of psychosis devotion.) I can't tell you their former band members, their middle names, or their birthdays, but I know a huge chunk of their catalog and history. I wanted to know what went on behind the songwriting, since Kiedis has a very unique style and also, admit it, he's a total dish so of course I wanted to nose into his life.

I got more than I bargained for. I became so entranced with his story that each time he relapsed (oops, spoilers for those who lived under a rock!) I fell right into that hole with him, getting frustrated because he had been doing so well, hating the girls who pushed him over the edge.

It was a really interesting read that I couldn't put down. I read long after the sun set (this was the weekend without power) and past my lunch hour at work. Kiedis led an interesting life, and he's a complex, compelling man. I never felt like he was trying to name-drop or bad mouth anyone. I never felt like he was making up a good story for the money or trying to sound cool for a pat on the back. I honestly still don't care that much about the line-up changes (but oh how I fell for Hillel, even though I already knew his fate) and birthdays (though Kiedis is big on his, so I'll probably always remember 11/1/62), but I did learn a lot about the songs and the man behind the lyrics, which is exactly what I set out to do.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scar Tissue.