Mistresslala's Reviews > Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble

Feb 26, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vaginalalaland
Read from February 01 to 10, 2011

I agree with a lot of people who have said the book would be better if the author didn’t feel the need to mention sex on almost every page. I love a good romance and don’t shy away from steamy scenes (especially where vampires are concerned)and felt that often, the sexual aspects of the book are both hit and miss and don’t really add anything to develop the characters or the storyline. It seems like all of a sudden every main male character wants to have a sexual relationship with her. And, although this could be ok if used as a mechanism to discuss male desire (especially when that male only wants power from the woman) and the female being subject to that male desire - instead it just falls short and in all honesty Jodie comes off as a bit of a tease and a wishy washy female who can't decide what her value is as a woman and who she really wants.

I also found that the plot just plugged along and I often had the feeling that I sometimes have while watching a 2 hour long movie – “ugh, this story could have been told in 30 minutes.” I really felt that the story dragged along and I kept waiting for an outcome, a resolution, a mind altering realization on the part of the characters – non of which came.

If you’re looking for a light, mindless, para-romance that is a quick read than I would “somewhat” recommend this book. Because the chapters are short, the plot is simple and there aren’t a lot of complex characters or developments, I did find it to be the perfect book to read as a nightcap after a busy day of working over 10 hours. It’s an alright read that’s not meant to be earth shattering, prophetic or mind altering.

I will say that the ending and the possible outcome in regard to the characters relationships, etc. did make me purchase and read the second book. Will I read the third if there's one published? Probably, because I’m a stickler for finding out how things end.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble.

message 1: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Enjoy most of her books..this book is okay. Haven't finished the book and I might jump to end to see how it ends.