Mary's Reviews > Floating in My Mother's Palm

Floating in My Mother's Palm by Ursula Hegi

Dec 08, 11

Read on December 08, 2011

AAAAaaaahhhh...I'm scrambling to find good quick reads so I can reach my goal for the year. Decided to revisit Ursula Hegi of 'Stones From the River', one of my most beloved reads from the last ten years. I blew through 'Stones From the River', Hegi is wonderful at creating truly complex, deep, characters. 'Floating In My Mother's Palm' was written prior to 'Stones' but is set in the last pages and following the conclusion of 'Stones'. I'm excited to get started since many of my favorite charcters are in this prequel. Let's see how it goes.
A very quick read, I found myself wishing it wouldn't end and it makes me want to revisit 'Stones From the River'. She creates such wonderful portraits you truly feel like you know these people and have lived these memories as they're being retold by Hanna. I wanna learn more about everyone, especially her mother, but I think the wanting to KNOW, and frustration in not fully knowing her was part of what Hanna felt, and what, as a reader, I felt as well. Every story is beautiful and written in an almost poetic way. Ursula Hegi seems to be able to write about what it is to be human better than anyone I've read. She's able to show you these characters, no judgement, just putting it all on the table; this is who they are, these are their stories. Yet every single one has an emotion, meaning, or deeper connection behind it. You're not just hearing about characters you're learning about who these people are and how each of them is mirrored in some part of everyone of us. Read this and then read 'Stones From the River'. Ursula Hegi is an artist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Floating in My Mother's Palm.