Silver's Reviews > A Town Like Alice

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

Feb 28, 2011

bookshelves: 1001books, historical-fiction, survival
Read from February 01 to 28, 2011

This is a book that I would not normally have thought to pick up and read of my own accord. I was lead to it when I group I belong to selected it, and I ended up liking it far more than I would have thought for it is a bit outside my usual reading interests yet I found to be a captivating story.

One of the things which I think works so well in the favor of this book is the narration style. It is told from the point of view of an old man and attorney, whom gives the story of one of his clients, a truly remarkable woman. There is a certain frankness and straightforwardness within the narrative voice which acutally works very well for the story. The story is told in this abrupt manner, which gives the reader a vivid picture, and speaks to the heart of the reader, without the excesses of unnecessarily long descriptions. This also makes the story read along very quickly and keeps you reading.

I am not one often to go for romances and yet I think in part because of the matter-of-fact way in which the story is told it did not come off as being sappy, or obnoxious, nor did it feel cliched, but it had me routing for them. And how can you not love Joe Harman?

The only thing that was a bother to me was the way in which the author made repeated references to Alligators while the story was set in Australia, which does not have Alligators. I can only take this down to the fact that perhaps at the time in which the book was written they did not have as clear of an understanding of the distinction between Crocodiles and Alligators. But that does not detract from the story, just a personal pet peeve of mine because of the inaccuracy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Town Like Alice.

02/04/2011 page 68