Margot's Reviews > Light In August

Mar 04, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: audio-books, classics, 2011
Read from February 01 to 28, 2011

Light in August primarily chronicles the struggles and mistakes of Joe Christmas, Reverand Gail Hightower, and Lena Grove/Lucas Burch/Byron Bunch leading up to and following Christmas's arrest in Jefferson for the murder of Joanna Burden, his one-time lover.

I was most particularly drawn to Lena Grove's search for Lucas Burch, her taciturn lover and father of the child she is soon to give birth to, which dominated the beginning of the novel. This section was like reading the juiciest gossip about everyone you do and don't know, and wondering all the while what's true and what could possibly happen next.

My interest waned a bit when I delved into Christmas's backstory and took a further plunge when the focus turned to Reverand Hightower. But although not all of the characters drew equal sympathy or interest, overall the novel was a good one and probably deserving of a re-read or two. (I listened to Light in August on audio-book, which in retrospect probably wasn't the best medium for a first-time read.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light In August.