Sherry's Reviews > The Secret Supper

1620088
Apr 28, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, inspiration, 2011, davinci
Read from April 16 to 28, 2011

The content is very compelling, however I was sometimes confused by the writing and had to go back and read sections over again. It's the story of Leonardo Da Vinci's creation of The Last Supper. It goes into detail of all the research and choices Da Vinci made, everything from the medium, and depiction to the models for each disciple. Along side is the story of the Cathars, a branch of early Christianity. It contains the same story of Magdalene as another book I read, The Priests Madonna. Overall it's a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Supper.

04/18/2011 page 80 "Another book I picked up at the second hand bookstore. I am enjoying it. I seem to be on a theme here of the late 15th and 16th century. This one concerns Leonardo Da Vinci's painting of "The Last Supper." Already very intriguing. The writer uses the same device I enjoyed in We Are the Mulvaneys, The switch from a first person narration to third person." 2 comments
04/21/2011 page 120 "This gives a great description of what it must have been like to view Da Vinci's painting for the first time, even in it's unfinished version. The painting, actually a mural, is 30 ' wide so at first viewing it looks like a real happening. A truly breath-taking experience."
04/23/2011 page 207 "I am enthralled with the research and knowledge represented in this novel. I am impressed with DaVinci's philosophy that a work of Art has to enlighten and inform, especially about ideas repressed by the Roman Church of the time."