Charlotte's Reviews > Fingersmith

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

I was working in a bookshop when I read this, and I finished it while on holiday. I have a strange memory when it comes to books - even though sometimes the plot lines and characters may become blurred or even forgotten, I almost always can remember where I was and what I was doing while I read it. And I have some quite vivid memories about this book, even though it was over two years ago.

One of my colleagues saw that I had just started it, and said that in her opinion, the first 100 pages had been fantastic but after that it became mundane and predictable. For me, though, I found it exactly the other way around. I remember sitting on the tube (I was working in London, for my sins!) reading the first section, thinking 'I bet I know exactly what happens - it's so Dickensian, it's going to be like Oliver Twist etc etc etc.' But about 100 pages in, the narrative took a completely new turn that I had not expected and I was hooked. I read the rest of it in a couple of days. The atmosphere is totally overwhelming. Waters has created an utterly believable world, one you can see, hear and smell. Absolutely recommended.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fingersmith.