Claudia's Reviews > UnWholly

UnWholly by Neal Shusterman

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012-book-challenge-160-books, sci-fi-fantasy
Read from August 31 to September 03, 2012

WHOLLY crap! I have always said I felt like UNWIND ended with the characters in a good place and would be satisfied if there wasn't another book...that said, wholly crap! Shusterman continues to drag his characters through hell and back. He adds new characters who complicate the story, but help reveal new parts of Connor's and Risa's and Lev's characters.

We see Lev trying to atone, working with his beloved pastor who tried to comfort him before his unwinding...Connor and Risa are leaders of the misfit Whollies at the Graveyard. In fact, Connor now runs the whole place. All of them have changed, as they should, but there are more tests ahead.

New characters: Miracolina, whose very name, her very existence, is a miracle, and she is so determined to tithe it back. She is furious at her rescue and works actively to subvert the efforts of her helpers.

Cam -- a young man created, as Frankenstein's Creature was, of parts...parts of exceptional Unwinds. Every breath Cam takes stretches the boundaries of medical science. And he needs a mate...and he's determined to have Risa.

Starkley -- a storked Unwind who hides an evil intent and a crafty mind.

This world is starting to crack...a new law has passed that now saves 17-year-olds from being unwound. Unfortunately that just accelerates the process...

We see more of the politics of the days before the Civil War, and how that culture affected the Unwind policies. Is this all a way to rid the world of troublesome teens?

The Juvies are very aware that Whollies are hiding at the old Graveyard, an old Air Force base...and they seem to be biding their time.

I appreciate how much all my favorite characters have grown here. They face adversary and the complications of leadership...they face horrible decisions. They face death. I'm proud of them all. I love these kids.

So many lines in this book are appropriate for our broken time...it makes the book even scarier.

"When you live a life without questions, you're unprepared for the questions when they come."

" I'm too old to rage against the system. I just whine at it."

"The bad are bad, the good are good, and being caught in between is just an illusion. There is no gray."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read UnWholly.

08/31/2012
15.0% "Already so horrifying!"
09/01/2012 page 121
29.0% "New characters have really complicated things...Cam, especially."
09/02/2012 page 280
67.0% "Things are building to the climax. So many lessons for our world!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicholle (new)

Nicholle There's going to be a second Unwind?? Yayayayay!!!!!!

Claudia I KNOW!! I didn't know that until I saw it on someone else's update. Know nothing about it or a publishing date...Excited.

Kathy Manus I had no idea there was a second in this series! I've had several of my students do book talks on Unwind and currently have one lit circle reading it. I haven't read the first one yet, but I really want to!

Claudia Kathy, DO!! It's great. I think this one has yet to be published...I keep planning to chekc out the publication info and I keep getting distracted.

Jennifer Unwind is one of my favorite books ever! I look forward to this, but it's always so hard for a sequel to stand up to the original. There's nothing like encountering a truly visionary world and concept for the first time. Going back is good, but never the same.