Lisa's Reviews > Autumn Street

Autumn Street by Lois Lowry

Feb 01, 2011

I read a lot of novels for middle grade readers. I find they are often more well written than adult fiction. I have also noticed many of the books are written about children, but middle grade children wouldn't always understand them. Oh, they would get the gist of the story, but the language/vocabulary and the depth of the relationships between characters wouldn't be fully grasped. I am in no way suggesting authors should "dumb down" their work--it's always good for young readers to stretch (any readers, actually). I know the prose is usually spare, the plot is clearly defined and the relationships seem more real, somehow. Maybe I'm just wondering if these books have wide appeal with the age group they target.

Autumn Street is a perfect example. The basic plot could be understood by children, but there are so many layers to the story I believe would be lost on them. So, who is Lois Lowry's primary audience?

Here's just one passage I found beautiful: "Even today, with a brush, I would blur the woods. I would blur them with a murky mixture of brown and green and black, the hueless shade that I know from my dreams to be the color of pain. But the sky above Autumn Street would be resplendent blue. In the sky, the painted ghosts would flutter, hovering like Chagall angels, benevolently smiling down on the strip of Pennsylvania where they had peopled a year of my life."

Would a third grader find it beautiful, too?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn Street.

10/26/2016 marked as: read