Kristin's Reviews > Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution

Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran

May 27, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from May 17 to 26, 2011

It started off a little slowly but before I knew it, I found myself wrapped up in Marie Tussaud's world and the french revolution. I was surprised to find her to be such a modern woman - in her relationships and in her business. Though she was a brilliant artist, you get the impression that she was an even more brilliant businesswoman but her thirst for money and a thriving business nearly cost her the man she loved and her life.

This was the first book that I've ever read about this time period that wasn't from the perspective of a royal. It was very interesting to read about it from the perspective of a commoner who was simply trying to stay alive as the royals practically dug their own graves and the revolutionaries became more bloodthirsty, deceiving and riling the people to get what they wanted. And to think these bloodthirsty men had been marie's contemporaries who dined with her family regularly and whom eventually everyone, even their friends, came to fear.

One area that i wish had been more fleshed out was her relationship with Henri Charles. I felt like there had to be more reasons why she kept delaying their marriage but overall, I guess that's a small complaint considering everything she accomplished with this novel.

Overall, I thought it was very well done. I would definitely give this author another read if she had an equally compelling character.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madame Tussaud.

05/20/2011
10.0% "A little slow going out of the gate but interesting."
show 3 hidden updates…