Auntee's Reviews > Colters' Daughter

Colters' Daughter by Maya Banks

Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: for_my_kindle, e-books, erotic-romance, part-of-a-series, 2011_reads, made_me_cry, dirty-talker, where-s-my-epilogue
Recommended for: Fans of the Colters series; erotic romance fans who don't mind a little D/s
Read from February 01 to 03, 2011

Pretty darn enjoyable for a book I didn't have a lot of high expectations for. I was a little wary about the whole D/s theme (not my favorite) of this story, so I wasn't so sure I'd like it. But I did! And I even teared up at the end (okay, not so unusual for me...but I was feelin' it!)

This story is about 23 year old Callie Colter, the pretty, blue-eyed brunette free-spirit of the Colter family. You know Callie's parents if you've read Colters' Woman, and you met her three brothers if you've read Colters' Lady. Callie isn't into the whole ménage thing like her parents and brothers, but she does have her own little kink that she's just realized--even though she's an independant, take no guff woman, she's a submissive in the bedroom. She found that out while she had a 3 week , red-hot romance with a man she considered her soul mate--the wealthy, dominant, green-eyed sexy bad-ass, Max Wilder. Max and Callie met in Europe, hung out in Italy and Greece and had a sizzling good time getting to know each other. Then Max unexpectedly got a call to come back home, asked Callie to wait for him...but then never came back. Or called her. Or contacted her. So Callie came back to her small Colorado home town and to her loving (but somewhat overprotective) family, forlorn and devastated...she thought Max was the one! So it's been a couple of months now, and Callie is working in her brother's bar, when who should show up looking for her? That's right, it's Max, with an explanation and an apology (and a secret that he'd like to keep a secret). Will Callie give him another chance, or has Max blown any chance that Callie could trust him again?

Max and Callie...

That's about the gist of this one. Max begs Callie to take him back and to give them another chance--there's a reason why he didn't contact her, and Callie wonders if she can trust him again. The fact that Callie is so irresistably attracted to Max makes her decision oh so easy...these two are combustible together. There's the whole D/s thing that they're into, and Max asks Callie to give him just a bit...more. Readers who enjoy those kinds of scenes are going to really love this part of the book. For me, that's not my favorite to read, but I must admit most of it was rather hot, and there was nothing degrading, painful or humiliating going on, and Callie seemed to really enjoy herself(!), so I was okay with it. Max was quite the dirty talking, forceful, dominant lover, and he did like things kind of rough...
Max's ground rules/house rules for Callie:

"When we are alone, whether in this apartment or elsewhere, you aren't to wear clothing unless I've said otherwise."

"I want you accessible to me at all times. If I want to f*** you in the kitchen, I want to be able to just lean you over the table and slide inside your sweet body."

"I might want you to suck my c*** while I eat after I've fed you. I prefer for you to be nude when that occurs."

"When we're in the living room, I want to be able to bend you over the arm of the couch and f*** you from behind. Or I might want to sit on the sofa and have you sit on my c***. The point is I want you accessible at all times. I want to be able to look at you whenever I want and touch you."

"You'll sleep in my bed every night. The last thing you'll feel before you go to sleep is me inside you. The first thing you'll feel when you wake up is me inside you."

Max's feelings on menage...:

"I'm not comfortable with sharing you. Ever. I'll take apart any son of a bitch I ever find in your bed and then I'll kick your pretty ass all over the country."

Okay, enough of this. You get the picture. Just when I thought this was going to be nothing but a sex-fest between a Dom and his sub, along came a story--and it hooked me. No spoilers here, but it involved a secret of Max's, something that Callie held dear to her heart, and a betrayal that devestated Callie's hopes and dreams. Even though I've read stories like this before (you know those secrets have a way of coming out at the wrong time), I still was involved enough with the characters that I felt Callie's pain---and later, Max's. And I teared up. Maya Banks's skill as a writer pulled me right into this story, and yeah, I was sniffing along right until the sweet, satisfying ending.

Sooo I can honestly say, if you enjoyed Colters' Woman and Colters' Lady, and you don't mind the D/s thing, you'll enjoy this one. You get to meet up with Callie's parents (Holly, Adam, Ethan and Ryan) and her brothers and sister-in-law/friend Lily--it was good to see them all again. Now just to nit-pick a little--I wish Ms. Banks would've given a bit more physical description of Max--other than his green eyes and lean but muscular build and the fact that he was "older' (how old?), I didn't have a clear picture of him. And...where was the epilogue? After all the drama, I needed one! Oh well, for a short story, I was still rather impressed. 4 1/2 stars

Warning: This book contains explicit, sometimes rough sex (including oral and anal); graphic language; and D/s elements. Not for the faint of heart!
31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colters' Daughter.

26.0% "So far so good."
100.0% "*sniff*" 2 comments

*Nan* Just got this book also. It is one of the next books i read.

Auntee Me too. I'm wondering how long it is...novella, or novel length?

Debbie On the nook it's 453 pages!

Auntee Get out! That long?

Debbie Yep! And it's delicious too!

Debbie Goodreads is showing at at 279 pages as an I don't know if that is accurate or not

Auntee Hmmm...even at 279 pages that's longer than a novella.

message 8: by Dina (new)

Dina Who can resist David Gandy when he crooks his finger like that? I'm having palpitations!

Auntee Yeah, I think it would be darn easy to be his sub...

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I didn't care for either of the first two, but this one sounds more like my kinda kink. I just hope the author can do a better job of hooking me than she did in the first two.

Great review! I'm definitely checking this one out!

Shawna Awesome review, Auntee! And I love the David Gandy pics!

I love Maya Banks and I've read several of her books, but can you believe I haven't read her Colters' series yet? This sounds so good that I'm tempted to read it first. Would it work okay as a stand alone and/or before reading the other Colters' books?

*Nan* SHawna I would read the others first.

message 13: by Anthi (new) - added it

Anthi I'm starting to wonder if there's a woman in GR (my self included) that doesn't swoon for David Gandy LOL!!

message 14: by Auntee (last edited Feb 03, 2011 04:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Auntee Thanks ladies!

Shawna, I would read the others first too however, if you choose not to, you should be okay. It's been a long time (and many books) since I've read "Colters' Woman" (I can barely remember it) so this read like a stand alone for me.:)

Auntee Anthi wrote: "I'm starting to wonder if there's a woman in GR (my self included) that doesn't swoon for David Gandy LOL!!"

He just has that look in his eyes...

Guilty Pleasures Auntee, Maya posted via facebook today, that while she won't write about future Colter generations, she will be writing a book about the whole family, I look at it as a "where are they now" type book. The lack of epilogue made the ending feel abrupt to me, but once I heard her plans I was excited.

Auntee No kidding? I think I'd like to read that! Thanks for the info, DiDi.:)

Guilty Pleasures You are welcome. She said she wouldn't write future Colter's because it would have to be written where maybe one or more of the H/A/E/R menage would be gone and she loves them too much to write that.

She hoped to have the new book out by this fall but didn't know if her schedule would allow it.

Auntee Cool!

Shawna Thanks for the info! I'm a stickler for reading books in order, but this just sounds so good and tempting.

message 21: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Not a Maya Banks fan however you make this one sound good

KindleRomance Reviews Great review! Made me want to read it and I also got the sniffles. Wished it would have been a little longer so we could see a bit more of their relationship develop.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I went ahead and bought it yesterday. After Auntee's review I'm looking forward to reading it.

Auntee Thanks Buggy and Kris!
UM, I hope this one is more to your liking!

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Auntee! I'll let you know :)

message 26: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Great review Auntee! Sounds interesting.

Auntee Thanks Melissa, it was pretty enjoyable.:)

message 28: by Dina (new)

Dina I love when someone comments on this review and I get to see David Gandy crooking his finger at me. I'm so in lust with him. *sighs*

message 29: by Bark's Book Nonsense (last edited Feb 07, 2011 08:21AM) (new) - added it

Bark's Book Nonsense Loved your review Auntee.

Auntee Dina wrote: "I love when someone comments on this review and I get to see David Gandy crooking his finger at me. I'm so in lust with him. *sighs*"

And I thought he was crooking his finger at me...:(

Auntee BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Loved your review Auntee."

Thanks BarkLess.:)

message 32: by Dina (new)

Dina Auntee wrote: "And I thought he was crooking his finger at me...:("

We can share, Auntee. :)

Auntee I can live with that.:)

Robin *loves sexy books* i saw that info too DiDi. I hope she does that, i'd love to see a book about them all, how their lives are, etc. Maybe one of the girls gets preggo.

perfect pic for them auntee!

message 35: by Tracey (new)

Tracey love your pictures! :)

Auntee Thanks Tracey.:)

message 37: by Dina (new)

Dina Oooh, Gandy is calling me again... *sighs*

Shawna LOL, Dina! I was thinking the exact same thing!

message 39: by Dina (new)

Dina Hee hee hee...

Auntee I thought we hashed this Gandy thing out last year...?;)

message 41: by Tracey (new)

Tracey can we please talk about him some more. last year, this year, its all good!

Auntee I agree--no time limit on Gandy.:)