Brittany's Reviews > Insatiable

Insatiable by Meg Cabot

F 50x66
Feb 01, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: adult, first-book-of-a-series, romance-light, fantasy-vampires, series-won-t-finish
Recommended for: Mid-way Cabot fans
Read in January, 2010

I'll start by saying that I own most of Meg Cabot's books, and for the most part have loved them. Suze Simon and Heather Wells are two of my favorite characters, full stop. I like her so much I've been reading her blog for years now. Perhaps this is the first mistake.

Insatiable is an acceptable book. In some spots I loved it, but most of the time I was a little bored. I figured out exactly how the romance was going to end by about the second chapter. Normally, I wouldn't mind this - how much variation can one expect in the romance genre? - but Meg and I have been down this road before. Here's where knowing her gets in the way. She's very fond of introducing the perfect man for her character (though none have been as one-dimensional and cliched as Lucien) and having the two instantly fall in love only for the heroine to suddenly start looking at the underdog in a new light (see, for example, Queen of Babble series). This particular triangle is interesting in one book, but we're far past that by now.

Also, having read her blog, I already had a good idea about her views on human/vampire romance. Letting this spoil the book is really more my fault than hers, however.

The cons of this book are the extreme predictability, the reusing of her previous plot twists, repeating the joke about how vampires are over-hyped at least twenty times in the book about vampires and the completely unrealistic 'love' Meena and Lucien have for each other within literally two meetings (not a spoiler, it happens within the first fifty pages). That said, there were some twists I thought were great (warrior nuns, anyone?) and one of Meg's strong points are her characters, if you throw their relationships to the wayside. I particularly liked Alaric and Mary Lou.

Bottom line: If you've read all of the author's books already, you should probably skip this one. It's not her best, by far. If you're new to Meg Cabot, I suggest starting with the Heather Wells books or the Boy series (Boy Next Door...) and leaving this off for a while. If you're somewhere in the middle or just need something for an airplane flight, go for it - but be aware that you might end up as disappointed as me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insatiable.

02/17/2016 marked as: read