Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Feb 10, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, books-for-rainy-days, reviewed-in-2011, for-flannery, favorites
Read from February 09 to 10, 2011

I chose Soulless from my never-ending TBR list because I wanted a light, undemanding read, but instead I found a great story with bright, intelligent humor and quite an unusual heroine. While it most certainly won’t enter the canon of literature, I think it will provide a solid entertainment to anyone who enjoys a good paranormal romance.
In her family, Alexia sticks out like a sore thumb. She’s 25, half-Italian, with dark skin and a large nose – all highly undesirable traits in a future wife. But when she finds herself in the middle of a paranormal mystery along with the Alpha werewolf Lord Maccon, she quickly discovers her life is about to change for the better.

One of the best parts of this book was Alexia discovering her sexuality. She grew up with a healthy dose of curiosity AND her father’s enormous library so she isn’t completely in the dark, but some things still manage to surprise her – like kissing with tongue and certain parts of Lord Maccon's anatomy - particularly their size. Knowing she will forever remain a spinster – what with her nose and her preternatural Italian father – she decides to make the most of Lord Maccon’s sudden interest in her. The way in which their relationship grows is believable, heartwarming and at times hilarious.

I just have to add that I seriously dislike the term steampunk. I think it’s stupid and unnecessary. There, I had to get that off my chest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

Quotes Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Liked

Gail Carriger
“How ghastly for her, people actually thinking, with their brains, and right next door. Oh, the travesty of it all.”
Gail Carriger, Soulless

02/09/2011
30.0% "What's wrong with me, anyway? I needed a nice little book after the Mockingjay disaster, and this is what I chose. Another disaster. Yey me." 2 comments
02/09/2011
80.0% "I was being VERY unfair before. Blame The Mockingjay. This book is actually pretty great."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vinaya (new)

Vinaya Re-view. Re-view. We want a re-view! You haven't written one since you started the hunger games! revieeewwww!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) That's because my brain is all mushy. I'm trying, believe me, but I can't seem to come up with a coherent thought.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

This is one I keep meaning to read and haven't gotten around to it yet. Super review!

Wendy Darling "Kissing with tongue" hee hee. :)