Kim Smiley's Reviews > Breaking Dawn

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Feb 01, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from February 01 to 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** So far so good! Loving this book right now. So Edward & Bella had a beautiful wedding, (well, in my head it was good). Then the honeymoon was kinda weird. I was wishing the author would've been at least a little more graphic of their first sexual encounter. I mean, in previous books we got more out of them kissing and messing around than we did on their first night together. That was disappointing. Only until the morning after when Edward had his little fit, which I thought of as funny.

On page 100, can't wait to see what happens next!

So the honeymoon goes well, although Bella figures out that she's tired all the time, eating like a fiend and showing all signs of pregnancy. This makes Edward whiter than usual at the discovery of her 5 week pregnancy looking like that of a 4 month progression. So they go home.

Bella's pregnancy is very rapid and very painful, as the baby is growing so fast and breaking her ribs with it's powerful movements. It is Jacob who discovers after Bella is almost dead due to malnutrition, (the baby rejects all food so they are both starving)that the baby wants to be fed blood. You would think this would be revolting to Bella, but once she has cup in hand, finds she is craving it as well.

The birthing of the baby is very graphic and as I imagined it to be, disgusting. It's a girl! Bella stops breathing. Edward injects his venom as Jacob applies CPR. She is revived and goes under her vampire transformation. This is where the book flips from Jacob's perspective back to Bella's. Jacob is too busy imprinting on a newborn, Renesme. So you get to read Bella's impression as to how it feels to be changed from ntire time, so e. She was unconscious the entire time, so none of the Cullens really knew what was going on with her. She ended up totally gorgeous and, (this is where I believe the author starts going far-fetched) already past her "newborn" stage of wanting human blood and going into a frenzy at just the smell of it. She's good with Jacob and her baby, and even Charlie. Lucky Bella.

But alas, more conflict. Irina, a vampire who was in love with Laurent, (who the pack killed a couple of books ago because Laurent was going to kill Bella) sees Renesme and believes her to be a baby that was bitten and made to be a vampire, which is a big no-no in the vampire code. She doesn't know that Renesme grows daily, understands all that is going on around her, and can even put her hand on anyones head to project her thoughts.

So she goes to the Voltura to narc on the Cullens. So this brings about the second part of the book, The Cullens figuring out what they can do to get the point across to the Volturi that they did not commit any wrongdoing and that Renesme is a vampire hybrid.

There! That's enough spoilers. If you want to know how it ends, and what "gift" Bella ends up possessing read the book! I have to add this as well because its funny. Through the Twilight series of books and the movies as well, Edward has always reminded me of the character of Dylan in Beverly Hills 90210. Tell me I'm wrong!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Dawn.

02/03/2011 page 360
48.0% "Just finished "Book Two: Jacob" wow is all I have to say. It was nice to see things from Jacob's perspective for a change. But wow. I didn't think I was going to make it reading through Bella's giving birth to that "baby." And I was so hoping for a boy. Little EJ would've been cool. And now this!? Jacob has imprinted on an infant? A half-vampire infant? wow. can't wait to see what happens in Book 3: Bella!"