Maggie's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jan 05, 10

Read in January, 2010

Oh goodness. This book set in my bedside book pile for approximately two years, but I never got past the first chapter. Eventually I gave up on it and took it back downstairs. It occurs to me that many of my favorite books have been that way... ones that remain unread until just the right moment. That concept is actually perfect for this novel, which is all about connections to individual books during your lifetime and the ties that bind you together.

Giving this novel another chance when I did, reading it through big decisions we're making and travel to other places and the holidays, was the best kind of comfort. The pull of this story when you're (in my case, FINALLY) ready to be swept away by it... the narrative structure that knows just when to drop a bombshell or change course... the emotional connection to characters and the ways in which they change and grow... beautifully, masterfully done. I was scared to read this novel at times - fearful for characters, worried that I was finishing it too soon, dreading the moment that bad things would happen or the novel would end, whichever happened first. That constant pull to the pages, the spell they cast... that's the power of words that the plot of this novel pays tribute to so very well. I can't imagine a more fitting reader reaction.

Now I hear (!!!) there's a prequel. Shall I prequel or reread first, that is the question...

Well done, Zafón, well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.