Ellyn's Reviews > What the Night Knows

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz

Feb 01, 11

I really enjoyed Dean Koontz's early work and read through all of them in a pretty short time frame, but I've struggled with him lately. I haven't liked the plots and language of recent books and I had hoped that this one would change my mind because I read mostly good professional reviews. While I was able to get through it quickly, I found it to be relentlessly dark and depressing. And while I was able to suspend disbelief about the supernatural elements, indeed they were the stuff of nightmares, the family at the center of the story was lightly sketched out and unrealistic to me. The jumping around between the viewpoints of the family members made it difficult to capture fully-realized characters and the three kids didn't act at all like their ages. With the unrealistic characters and really dark tone, there was nothing for me to latch onto to really enjoy in the book and so I just tried to finish it as quickly as possible. It reminded me of why I may read supernatural and the occassional horror story, but I do not watch horror movies. I'll read horror stories when they make you think and include elements that properly counterbalance the darkness. This was more like a relentlessly dark, graphically violent, unsatisfying horror movie than an intriguing, fleshed-out novel. Now I need to cleanse my reading palate with something light and happy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Night Knows.