Kerry's Reviews > The Demon in the Freezer

The Demon in the Freezer by Richard   Preston

Feb 01, 11

Read in January, 2011

This book was terrifying-- in a good way. Keep this away from hypochondriacs! I learned a lot about Smallpox and how it spreads, as well as the challenges that would be faced by public health should such a virus make its way out of a lab and into the population. The book was somewhat alarmist, but reasonably so. It was a fast read, with easily-understand writing and description, even of the more complicated matters.

It was particularly interesting to read it in 2011 with the hindsight we have now on the 2001 Anthrax letters, knowing who really did it.

The one thing I rather disliked was the excess of description of people who appear in the book (mostly researchers, rarely victims)-- details upon details that I didn't really need to know as a reader, combined with many extra pages of anecdotes about their lives that had little to do with smallpox, other diseases, or their research. But skipping over these made it a faster read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon in the Freezer.