Gail's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: favorite-authors, memoir
Read from April 10 to 12, 2011

I honestly cannot remember the last time I laughed this hard reading anything (only a Jonathan Tropper novel or a Dave Sedaris collection comes close). I finished the other night with wet cheeks from the tears that'd escaped my eyes. The bed had been shaking I was laughing so hard!

So what's to love about "Bossypants," besides everything? For starters, how Tina just tells it (and by "it," I mean everything from working at SNL to impersonating Sarah Palin) like it is. She's got a fierce feminist streak in her, but it's a feminism that exhibits itself in her trademark no-bullshit kind of way. It's more or less the message of, "I will be who I want to be and I do not care if you like it". Oh, and she's quick to call other women out for being catty — while, at the same time, being the first to admit she's played that card plenty of times in her own past.

And that, perhaps, is what makes Tina Fey so gosh darn likable. She IS us, right down to admitting her faults. You have to laugh reading chapters like "Amazing, Gorgeous, Not Like That" (in which Tina breaks down what a photo shoot is REALLY like) because you think, "YES! That is exactly what I thought it'd be like!" What I loved most about this book is Tina's voice can be heard through the whole thing. That's not an easy thing for an author to do, but you feel as though Tina is reading these stories to you (fan girl I am, I still want the audio version so, you know, Tina actually CAN read these stories to me!)

Personal highlights:
• The chapter on her dad, "That's Don Fey" ("How can I give [my daughter] what Don Fey gave me? The gift of anxiety. The fear of getting in trouble. The knowledge that while you are loved, you are not above the law.")
• Her chapters on being very very skinny and being a little bit fat— brilliant essays on women and weight shared in a way I think only she could nail.
• She has a girl crush on Amy Poehler and a work crush on Alec Baldwin (whom she gives way too much credit for the success of 30 Rock, IMO).
• She refuses to hire/work for jerks and she's not above using this book to get revenge on those who've criticized women's ability to be funny (on the success of the Sarah Palin-Hilary Clinton sketch she did with Amy: "That night's show was watched by 10 million people and I guess that director at The Second City who said the audience "didn't want to see a sketch with two women" can go shit in his hat.")
• She writes lines that seriously just make you bust a gut: "Do I think Photoshop is being used excessively? Yes. I saw Madonna's Louis Vutton ad and honestly, at first glance, I thought it was Gwen Stefani's baby."
• The chapter on her attempt to film a scene with Oprah, play Sarah Palin for the first time on SNL and plan her daughter's 3rd Peter Pan-themed birthday party ("By the way, when Oprah Winfrey is suggesting you may have overextended yourself, you need to examine your f*cking life")
• Her thoughts on parenthood and struggling to breastfeed and why she refuses to take guilt from (her words, not mine) "Teat Nazis"
• And finally, a chapter that struck a chord with me in those final pages, "The Mother's Prayer For Its Daughter," because, dang it all, Tina does what so few can and it's write something that can be so beautifully poetic and LOL funny at the same time. ("First, Lord: No tattoos. May neither Chinese symbol for truth nor Winnie-the-Pooh holding the FSU logo stain her tender haunches.")

So yeah, it's brilliant. It's hilarious. JUST GO READ IT ALREADY! haha

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Bigelow Did you see her Oprah interview today? I want to be her when I grow up.

Gail I missed it (was out of town). But I cannot wait to write my review for this one; I finished it Monday night and literally laid in bed with a wet face from tears that came from laughing my behind off.

Like you, I want to be her too. Or if I can't be here (and who could except Tina?) then I'd like to be her best friend. Or serve her a drink to, you know, at least say I've met her once!

Denise Saucedo Ohhhhhhhh I have this on my books to read and I can't wait to get to it. Have you read any of Chelsea Handler's books? The one about her one night stands is fabulous. Had me dying! Very vulgar but so flippin funny!!!!

Maya Dying to read this!!!

Aaron It's incredibly hilarious, but from a lot of the reviews here I think it goes over some people's heads.

message 6: by Izzabelle (new)

Izzabelle thanks for making me want to read this! hopefully i can get it soon

Vanessa I loved this book! So funny. You would really love "let's pretend this never happened" by jenny lawson. In my opinion, she is more funny than Mrs. Fey herself.

Kyann I agree! It is very, very funny!

Jeri Another very funny audio book read by the author is "Under the Duvet" by Marian Keyes. I was just howling with laughter in my car.

Edmund Davis-Quinn Amy Poehler is adorable. Will Arnett seems cool too see them at an ice cream place in Greenwich Village. Also saw Amy Koehler st the Upright Citizens Brigade where she was one of the three founders.

message 11: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail I'll have to remember that one!

message 12: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail You know they aren't together anymore though right? But jealous you saw Amy in person -- she's so hilarious. Love her flavor of humor!

Wata Kamara I love it

message 14: by Georgia (new) - added it

Georgia I read this book for a project and often found myself giggling to myself in class. It was an amazing read, filled with lots of humor which I loved. Even though she is a celebrity, I found her to be quite relatable and definitely could put myself in her shoes. Fey comes off as independent and likable and her anecdotes are to die for. When she talked about Don, her father, I completely understood where she was coming from. For me, this parent is my mom, but the effect is all the same. Tina opened up a new perspective into her fancy life, but the way she spoke about it made it seem incredibly plain. To my surprise, she had awkward phases in her life (and made this apparent with her hilarious younger-her photos). I just always assumed celebrities were born perfect. Thankfully for the reader, she didn't try to make herself seem perfect while also not making herself seem like the underdog. That was probably my favorite characteristic of the book, and I would love to read a follow up book by her.