Laura de Leon's Reviews > The Uncoupling

2013736
Apr 04, 11

bookshelves: fiction, review-copy, blogged
Read from March 21 to 23, 2011

For the entire time I was reading The Uncoupling, I had no idea what I thought of it. Now I'm done, I still don't really know.

I can say that I was always eager to pick it up again when I had to set it down, and I was thinking about it even when I wasn't reading.

The entire book is a odd-- the characters are people, but they also each represent something or some group of people. The language is almost stilted at times, deliberately invoking the feel of someone telling a story.

The Uncoupling reminded me a little of Nick Hornby's How to Be Good. Both books are trying to use a story to make a point about society. I found The Uncoupling to be much more successful, both in terms of the making its point and allowing me to enjoy its effort.

The Uncoupling was funny, in the word choices as well as the situations that were set up.

It was also the most frank discussion of sexuality that I've read in a novel. The book set up a variety of different couples with normal sex lives, up until the Lysistrata spell takes effect. I was never quite satisfied with the generalizations the narrator made, however.

The characters were interesting, even if somewhat two dimensional, seeming more like characters in a play (Lysistrata?) than real people. They were oversimplified to strengthen their representation of a group, but I wanted them to be a bit more than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncoupling.