Gayle Francis Moffet's Reviews > The Face on the Milk Carton

The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fiction, january-2011, series
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

Caroline B. Cooney makes it clear, throughout The Face on the Milk Carton, that family is what you make of it. Janie discovers (and this is a spoiler, but it's on the back of the book) that she was kidnapped. The rest of the novel is the exploration of how Janie deals with this information. Her mom and dad are caring, kind people, and Janie wonders how they could be involved in her kidnapping.

Cooney tells the story well, especially when she makes it clear that Janie's friends are noticing her sudden disconnect from them. She has Janie's friends respond realistically. They're angry that Janie isn't confiding in them, and they're upset and frustrated when they bring their feelings to her attention, and she doesn't respond the way they want. Cooney's dialogue gets slightly clunky in a few places (her teenagers could use a few more contractions), but overall everyone feels realistic and honest.

The Face on the Milk Carton is the first in a four-book series. I haven't read the others, but I certainly look forward to them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Face on the Milk Carton.