Julie's Reviews > Dreadnought

Dreadnought by Cherie Priest

Jan 31, 11

I really enjoyed this book. I read the first in the series (I keep hoping it won't be just a trilogy) last summer and enjoyed it, but this one really caught me up. I was very impressed with the drama of Mercy's trip and the various random things that barge in on it. The atmosphere of the train and the pacing kept me interested. I got a little annoyed with one character's sudden change toward the end (up to that point she'd been a disapproving stick in the mud and all of a sudden she's suggesting a sneaky raid. didn't quite follow for me) but that was the *only* thing I was annoyed with. I loved that Mercy was not a woman who needed a man for anything, and did not react to losing her husband by immediately trying to find a replacement. So frequently the conflict of new man vs. guilt over replacing hubby is used as a woman's emotional centerpoint and Ms. Priest dodged that one very neatly. Mercy was a whole human by herself, and she was very cool.

As I said, I hope for another in the series, but for now, I've put the second book (which I hadn't heard of until I bought and read this one) on my 'to read' list and dive back into this very interesting world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreadnought.