MaryLeauna's Reviews > Party

Party by Tom Leveen

Feb 02, 11

Read from January 31 to February 02, 2011

4.5

Party is the story of Santa Barbara High's must-go-to end of the year party. Summer is here and the student body is ready to let loose, really let loose. The book is told by the overlapping view points of eleven teens. If you want a vast array of personalities, Tom Leveen surely delivers. You may not be able to relate with all of the narrators, but there are sure to be a few you can really connect with. And trust me, your heart string will be pulled on at least once.

Pros:
The personalities and backgrounds of the characters, as well as their reactions to the things around them make them unbelievably real. Even if we didn't partake in certain things in high school or if we didn't experience the tragedy that some of the book's characters did, we can still understand their motivations. Speaking much to the author's skill, each character has a personality and language all their own. They sound different. The boys with the skateboards don't sound like the girl who keeps to herself or like the boy from Turkey, who just wants to make his father proud. Main point is that the eleven narrators are varied with different voices and unique motivations.

Cons:
I kept thinking that some of the social groups described in the book aren't really relevent anymore, but than again, it does take place in California, so who knows. But my main problem with the book is that I got a tiny bit confused with a couple of the male characters, them being in the same group of friends and together, and sounding pretty alike at times. Honestly, that's my biggest problem with this and that could just be me. I've never been good at keeping names straight anyway. Oh well.

Overall:
Fresh, real...a great debut. Fantastic to read a good book from someone local.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Party.

Quotes MaryLeauna Liked

Tom Leveen
“I'm the girl nobody knows until she commits suicide. Then suddenly everyone had a class with her.”
Tom Leveen, Party