Nerine Petros's Reviews > Chocolate Dreams

4201173
Jan 31, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from January 31 to February 11, 2011

Chocolate is one of those foods, along with strawberries and whipped cream, that brings to mind steamy banana splits less the banana and lickable lollipops of a certain sort. It would have been quite easy for Em to go down this path of more lusty chocolate desires, but despite the lack of chocolate as a lube, this novella has its own heat; albeit of the sweeter, more milk chocolate variety.

Joel is a man not aware of his own worth. Working for his family's accounting firm, Joel doesn't feel confident, or that he is attractive enough to catch the eye and the heart of local chocolatier, Aaron. Deeply hurt in the past, Joel loves Aaron, but is content to do so from afar, never putting his heart at risk if Aaron doesn't know, or doesn't return, the sentiment.

Aaron is an intense character, right from the moment we meet him glowering at Joel through a car window. I loved receiving Joel's impressions of Aaron as a man, before I was given Aaron's description as a character. Aaron has a tenacious spirit, and will use this to his advantage before Joel can get away.

It became quite clear to me that these characters had a history and connection preceding this glimpse into their lives, so despite the fast pace, it doesn't seem out of place for these two men to finally make their move toward their chocolate dream. I would recommend this novella, written in a contemporary style, to anyone who enjoys sweet romance, stories written in a current setting or chocolate. Nx

Note: Review written for Queer Magazine Online.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chocolate Dreams.