Nick's Reviews > Magic Bites

M_50x66
Apr 26, 14

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2011

I really enjoyed this book, and immediately picked up the second volume to continue the story. A few elements in the story reminded me of the Shadowrun game, but in a good way, as the city of Atlanta has to cope with overlapping technology and magic that are not meshing smoothly. In this series, magic throughout the world has made a big comeback, but in a way that causes oscillations between technology and magic every once in a while. This has caused a lot of magical beings to reenter the world, and not all of them are friendly to mankind.
The main character, working as a mercenary dealing with magic-related problems, could easily be a stereotype, yet another kick-butt female PI with a sword, but somehow Ilona Andrews has made this character distinctive in some odd ways.
In addition, the author has a very distinct and quite nasty version of vampires in this story. No cute, sparkly vampires in this world!
In this volume there are hints that there is a major mystery surrounding the central character, and I hope this develops slowly over the next couple of books. Of course, that only works if the big reveal is worth the wait, but so far it seems like it.
The main character's magical sword is quite unique, and very interesting. I don't recall any other fictional swords that have to be fed and watered.
Overall, a very good urban fantasy with a lot of potential.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.