Charlyn Trussell's Reviews > The Familiars

The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: adventure, animals, fantasy, fiction, magic
Read in January, 2011

When flea-bitten cat Aldwyn avoids a bounty hunter by hiding in a cage in a shop, his life takes a strange curve: he is chosen by a young magician to be his familiar. Aldwyn is taken back to a home where three young magicians are being schooled by a master and he joins the two other familiars there, a tree frog named Gilbert and a bluejay named Skylar. Aldwyn quickly begins to worry that others will discern that he lacks any magical attributes, a necessary trait for a familiar. When the old master magician is killed and the three young magicians kidnapped, the familiars must complete the task of finding their loyals and rescuing them. This is no easy task--especially when one of the familiars lacks the magical skill of his partners. The action and suspense should entertain young readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Familiars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrew Jacobson Hi, I'm one of the authors of The Familiars. I see that you have marked my book as to-read. Now would be a great time to catch up on the first book and its sequel, Secrets of the Crown, in paperback or e-reader. You can find them in bookstores everywhere or on-line! Thanks.

Charlyn  Trussell Actually, I've already purchased and read both books and reviewed each one on Goodreads. I enjoyed each and have recommended them to my students.

Andrew wrote: "Hi, I'm one of the authors of The Familiars. I see that you have marked my book as to-read. Now would be a great time to catch up on the first book and its sequel, Secrets of the Crown, in paperbac..."