Kirk's Reviews > Fun with Milk and Cheese

Fun with Milk and Cheese by Evan Dorkin

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels-comic-books
Read in May, 2005

Forget flower power . . . brick power for life!

The first time I picked this up several years ago, I loved it. The part of me that longed for new Beavis and Butthead episodes rejoiced. The part of me that used to spend hours in front of the television watching that episode of Ren & Stimpy with Ewalt and Abner trying to hang 'em some yunguns, yeah, that part of me was happy too.

Which leaves me wondering what the hell happened. Where did that part of me go? I still really enjoy Milk & Cheese, but now I enjoy it because of the artwork, which is wonderfully overwhelming at times. The violence is so excessive that I still crack a smile when I see someone's tongue flailing in the wind as one of the protagonists nails their head with a hammer. There is so much going on in some of the panels that I still catch new things every time I look through this collection.

I really enjoy the meta elements as well, the fact that Dorkin parodies his own formula at times, and the fact that Milk & Cheese break the fourth wall to critique their own performance.

If you're young and pissed, this book is for you. If you're not so young and not quite as pissed, there's probably something in here for you as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fun with Milk and Cheese.