Nikko Lee's Reviews > Surrender of a Siren

Surrender of a Siren by Tessa Dare

Feb 08, 11

Why I read this book:
I often read books as a form of research into the genres I am interested in. A good book is a good book. Unfortunately there are some common themes or cliches that really annoy me.

My one sentence summary:
In Surrender of a Siren, Sophia runs away from her family before she is forced to marry a man she does not love only to find love on the high seas in the form of a buccaneer trying to make an honest name, for once.

Kuddos:
Sophia is smart, witty, and defiant. Gray is a sympathetic rogue. Their courtship was a lot of fun to read. There is an enjoyable push pull between them. I read until the end.

Quibbles:
The virgin with a desire for sexual freedom falls for the rakish ruffian who turns out to be a refined man at heart. Whether it's because of the time period or subgenre or market demands, I really can't find much appeal in the virgin lead female. There's something about it that bugs me. Maybe it's the deflowering scene that is nothing like my own experience or the experience of many other woman. That being said I read until the end. Sophia is a strong character in many ways, but her virginity feels like a token element of the story instead of being handled with realism. After all the struggles that the two must overcome to admit their feelings and be together I felt cheated by the ending. It was as if with the wave of a magical pen the characters were absolved of the consequences of their actions.

Final verdict:
I put this book on the donation shelf at work for someone else who might enjoy it more.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender of a Siren.