Nikko Lee's Reviews > Black Dagger Brotherhood: Boxed Set #1-6

Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward

Feb 08, 11

Why I read this book:
I think I picked up Dark Lover, the first book the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward, while wandering a book store in search of a romance/erotica book that would hold my attention. I have a notoriously short attention span when it comes to cliched romance novels. After that I was hook and had to read the rest of the series. I remember wishing when I got to the end of the first book that there was more about the other brothers (Dark Lover focuses on Wrath). Guess what? Each brother gets his own book in the series.

My one sentence summary:
Wrath, the prince who would rather be warrior, must keep his kind safe from the warped human who hunt them even as he discovers that the half-vampire woman he is sworn to protect is his mate.

Kuddos:
Ward is excellent at creating alpha male characters who are at once kickass and romantic fools. The mythos of her vampires as a parallel species, their culture, and their history are the most thought-out that I've ever read. Oh, and the sexual and romantic tension is second to none. The romances are heartbreaking, and the sex scenes breathtaking. I can easily and eagerly re-read the entire books or just the juiciest bits over and over again. Her plots are far more complex and interesting than the average romance or erotica novel.

Quibbles:
I'm not sure that this is an issue with the story or rather with my attention span, but I glossed over most of the chapters involving the human hunters. They were just no where near as interesting or sympathetic as the vampires. Although not a problem in this first books, the subsequent books focus so much on the males that the female characters feel underdeveloped. And what's with the slang? I just about cringed every time I read about a character asking about the 'sitch' (situation). Sometimes I felt like I needed a glossary for the slang as well as the vampire-specific terms. The pop culture references make the books feel relevant, but may date the books as time goes on.

Final Verdict:
I'm addicted. I've read every book so far and will read the next and the next. Some of the books are more interesting than others. Sometimes the focus shifts away from the wonderful romances too much. But I can forgive a lot to see the Brothers in action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Dagger Brotherhood.