Danny's Reviews > Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, inspirational, auto-biography
Read from July 30 to August 01, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Does the end really justify the means?

Amy make is sound like an honourable thing to sacrifice a precious daughter-mother relationship as long as they succeed in life. But quite honestly, how do you measure success? And who determine this success?

Living in Singapore and being a 3rd generation immigrant family, I have seen this form of parenting being leashed out on my fellow schoolmates. Any form of rebellion against their parents are condemned.. Growing up too afraid to break or bend rules, sticking to norms, and making decisions to appease their superior.

All of them hold a common stigma, a successful life is to become either a doctor, a lawyer or an accountant. Does memorizing the winning formula of every damn musical concertos = success?

This methodology of learning is flawed and sadly, it has become imbedded in our school system. Just memorize formulas and definition. Creativity and exploration are stamped out of every individual, and curiosity are often condemned. Whatever happened to "Learning to Learn"?

This boils down to the fundamental questions: Are we breeding workers? or thinkers? Yes, Amy's so called "Chinese" parenting style of systematic drilling does bring results and discipline.

It isn't wrong. Just extreme.

This book certainly add to my belief that early childhood isn't about results... it should be about building principals, mannerism (discipline) and having creativity freedom. I like to believe results will come naturally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.