Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > Spiral X

Spiral X by J.J. Westendarp

4561998
Feb 07, 11

Read from February 04 to 06, 2011

Spiral X by J. J. Westendarp is a great read. I began reading this book with mixed feelings and the slow start wasn't a good sign. However, once the pace picked up so did my interest. This story is engaging, the characters are well developed and this book is just a great addition to the urban fantasy genre. I also wanted to point out that the author is male! A rarity in this genre but what's even more unusual is that the novel is good! I haven't come across many of these gems in my reading. That makes if worth picking up if just to experience a different point of view.

Cheryl is definitely a kick ass chick. She's 22, was trained by the best, and is a full on vampire hunter. She has a real tough attitude along with a few powerful abilities that come in handy in her line of work. Cheryl's missions go from solo to forced teamwork mid-way through the story. This is what really kick started this tale for me. She ends up working along side police and FBI agents in a battle against vamps. It was fun watching her adjust her methods to be able to work within the group. Cheryl, the wild hunter, is thrown into a partnership that's built around rules and protocols. For the most part she does fairly well but it's those occasional slip ups that really make this book interesting.

My favorite character in this novel was The Reverend, a.k.a. Rev. Don't let the name fool you, he's one badass dude. Fortunately he fights on the side of good... kinda, so he teams up with Cheryl. I don't want to give too much away but if you've read the synopsis you know that he has a secret or two. For the most part, Rev is a mystery. A few things are revealed but I have a feeling that there's more to him than meets the eye.

The storyline takes so many unexpected turns that it will keep you guessing. Just when you think you've figured out an answer you discover the truth and are left wondering what clues you missed along the way. This book just keeps throwing things at you, you'll never feel bored! Spiral X will not only have you trying to solve a few crimes but will also have you trying to figure out how all of the characters fit into the grand scheme of things. The players' alliances and stories are constantly changing. Just when you think that you have one of them pinned, they'll let something slip that puts who's side they're on back into question. There are many shades on grey in this tale.

Spiral X is a great book and a real page turner once you get past the slow start. It's a vampire hunter story but has several key elements that really sets it apart from the mold. Not only is there otherworld fun but there's also a great deal of mystery and suspense. A fun read with a nice mix of reality intertwined with vampire fiction. No sex but then again, there wasn't any time with all the non-stop action!

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spiral X.