Sammy's Reviews > The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jan 31, 2011

bookshelves: mystery
Read from January 30 to February 07, 2011

This collection isn't quite as good as "The Adventures", but in some ways it shows a continued improvement in Doyle's overall style.Many stories open with a more interesting description of the season, the times, or the relationship of our two central characters. (Watson's discussion of Holmes' neatness and simultaneous messiness in 'The Musgrave Ritual' is marvellous!)

After my bad experiences with the first two books, I can't believe that I now look forward to every Holmes and Waston story, and yet I do. Every story in this volume is interesting and enjoyable, however more than a few have a tendency to slip back into the fantastic and melodramatic modes that coloured "The Sign of the Four" and "A Study in Scarlet". (most notably 'The Yellow Face').

Strangely, the only story I didn't really enjoy was 'Silver Blaze' which is, I understand, quite popular. 'The Final Problem', on the other hand, is delightful in its descriptive passages, and the unique situation of seeing Holmes in such danger. A very good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.

02/01/2011 page 100
02/03/2011 page 210
65.0% "My hypothesis stands: a more concerted literary effort from Conan Doyle, but the stories often include more fantastical or melodramatic/"romantic" elements which don't catch the reader as powerfully as the logical stories in "The Adventures"."
show 2 hidden updates…