Vicki's Reviews > Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: comedy, non-fiction, memoirs, library-books
Read on January 31, 2011

Handler is pretty much just phoning it in at this point. There are still some laughs, but the tactics reminded me of the capstone paper I turned in for my major in undergrad: it’s not that it was bad, it’s just that the obvious attempts to make it seem like more than it was were probably an insult to my professor. The book clocks in at 244 pages, but it’s probably actually only about 90 pages long. The font has been bumped up to about 17 points, the margins are pushed to nearly 3 inches, and there are many snapshots scattered throughout. All that's missing is a completely unnecessary bar graph.

Her stories from her childhood are the weakest in this and her previous collections: she gives 7-year old Chelsea 35-year old Chelsea’s voice, and has her make references that are era-inappropriate (it’s doubtful that little Chelsea called her vagina her “MINI Cooper” or “Pikachu” in the 70s, for instance). But in contrast, the stories that are obviously attempts for her to create new hilarious scenarios for later books are very funny, like inviting the guy she uses as a driver in NY to come on a vacation with her and her friends in Turks and Caicos in an attempt to get him laid. I also liked her awkwardness when she and her millionaire boyfriend spend time with the very poor people she hung out with in her 20s. Some of the later dad emails are filler, but the exchange among all the siblings was pretty funny. Anyway, I’d say keep your expectations low and don’t spend money on this, but if it’s laying around it’s good for a laugh. Given the option, though, read Are You There Vodka instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang.