Wendy's Reviews > Clara and Mr. Tiffany

Clara and Mr. Tiffany by Susan Vreeland

Sometimes I really like Susan Vreeland, sometimes she just doesn't do it for me. I think she is at her best when she manages to get inside her characters' heads to show what art means to them or what inspires people to create. I just wasn't getting that from this book.

I loved the idea of the story, showing how women made the beautiful Tiffany glass creations while Mr. Tiffany got all the credit. But the book is full of clunky dialogue explaining the process of working with glass and summing up people's backgrounds. The beginning feels rushed and forced. I'm sure Vreeland did a lot of research and wanted to get all her information in there, but it just wasn't realistic to me.

Maybe I just didn't like Clara. I know I didn't like how much time was spent on her bohemian neighbors instead of on the artwork. To be fair, I only read a little bit, so maybe it gets better, but it just didn't draw me in. I'm really glad I didn't buy it and I wouldn't recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clara and Mr. Tiffany.