Elizabeth Wallace's Reviews > Criss Cross

Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins

Feb 16, 10

bookshelves: best-books-ever, no-rating-high-enough, read-and-reviewed
Recommended for: those who understand subtlety
Read in January, 2010

Original review: Have you ever felt like it's all different, including you? Have you ever felt like some things are just meant to be? Have you ever felt like there *was* no happily ever after, especially one in these times? Well, that's how whatserface feels, and everyone around her.

Second time around: This book is like no other. Love it or hate it, I have never run into anything anywhere near this.'

I am on the love it side. Reading it at almost fourteen and eleven was so different it was astounding. Even at eleven I recognized the quirky beauty of it but it didn't really fit into my life. But when I read it about a month ago I was just amazed. Did Lynne Rae Perkins reach into my head? I felt like the awkwardness, the poignancy, the wisdom, the newness, the LIFE of a teenager was all there.

I also understand the "hate it" arguments. It is fairly plotless, the ending is not really resolved, and some of the characters don't act very smart. However, this is a story about LIFE. It doesn't sound very cool on paper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Criss Cross.