Karen's Reviews > The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption

The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant

F_50x66
Jan 31, 11

Read in January, 2011

This book is about the Michael Vick case and the dogs that were seized from his property. I was amazed that only one dog out 51 had to be euthanized because it was too aggressive. As an animal lover I found it extremely difficult to read at times as it includes graphic details of what was done to these dogs. But it renewed my faith in those in law enforcement that protect animals and go after people who dogfight. I also found myself questioning why Vick and his partners did not face harsher penalties. Due to a court order in the case all of the dogs who have been adopted out have had to pass the Canine Good Citizen Test. This is not an easy feat for any dog. Many of them have gone on to become certified therapy dogs. These dogs were in a kennel environment for nearly a year before they could be fostered or sent to groups where they could be helped. Most dogs would have shut down after a few months. The strength and spirit of these dogs amazed me. I found myself unable to put the book down at times because I simply wanted to know more about the progress of the beautiful dogs. I had mixed emotions about reading this book because of what other people had said about it, but I am glad that I took the time to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Dogs.