Margo Berendsen's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011-my-reads, love-stories, 2011-favorites, debut-2011, young-adult, ya-paranormal
Read in December, 2011

I loved the love story in this book. It starts out cliche but it takes some strange and interesting and (realistic! gasp!) turns, it ends up full blown beautiful, with the main character, Clara swept away but with her feet still on the ground (she makes some sort of comment about how ridiculous it is to say "I love you" when you're only seventeen and the phrase is tossed around too casually).

The antagonist shows up late, and also shows up too little, because he is so FREAKING scary and he deserved more page time. Kind of reminds me of how late James showed up in Twilight, he just starts to be really scary, and then snap, he's dead. But the antagonist doesn't die in this story. Oh no. He'll be back.

There are some solid good characters in this story: Jeffrey, Clara's brother, her mother, Angela, even Kay. She's the requisite high school "mean girl" but she doesn't quite fit the mold, either. Christian and Tucker form what I call a refreshingly old-fashioned love triangle. The interesting, but frustrating thing is that all these great characters each leave you with deliberate loose ends.

Why is Clara's mom always tired and stressed out?

Kay just didn't drop off the face of the earth... what's she up to?

The mention of Angela's mysterious boyfriend in Italy wasn't just random... that was definitely a plant for future plot development.

And what about the fact that Angela has the whitest wings?

What's up with Jeffrey's suddenly very dark wings?

And what the heck -- Christian has (view spoiler)

Way to leave me clawing at the last page in frustration!

I LOVED the concept of a Purpose to be fulfilled and all the mystery and frustration and concept it generates in the story.

And I LOVED the writing. It was sleek, polished, but still natural. And WHY oh WHY can't all high schools have a cool British literature class that get students involved - and KILLED? "He's Christian the Fifth now." (still smiling at that one).

So even though the ending made me scream and scratch my head, I am seriously impressed with the book. Sequels will be read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

Quotes Margo Liked

Cynthia Hand
“Think about Tucker. Think about a good memory, she whispers in my mind. Remember a moment when you loved him. And just like that, I do.

"What did the fish say when it hit a concrete wall?" he asked me. We're sitting on the bank of a stream and he's tying a fly onto my fishing rod, wearing a cowboy hat and red lumberjack-style flannel shirt over a gray tee. So adorable.
"What?" I say, he grins. Unbelievable of how gorgeous he is. And that he's mine. He loves me and I love him.
"Dam!" he says.

Cynthia Hand, Unearthly

Cynthia Hand
“Have you ever been to a place you're supposed to love, but all you can think about is home?”
Cynthia Hand, Unearthly