Chris "Stu"'s Reviews > Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together

Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Feb 03, 08

bookshelves: 2008, graphic-novel
Read in February, 2008

These books (the series will run to seven volumes, I believe) are pretty damn great so far. They look like mangas, read more or less like autobiographical comics, but pitch everything with just the right mix of humor and craziness that they achieve something special.

They work much like _Buffy the Vampire Slayer_ does, taking real life situations and genre-fying them, so that the ordinary perils of falling in love and learning about someone's past and learning from your own mistakes get transformed into the conventions of the chosen medium (in Scott Pilgrim's case, the medium of comic books and video games, in Buffy's, the medium of being in a horror movie).

Or maybe I'm just over intellectualizing. Regardless, these books are really damn fun and touching, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cera The 'hey, this works like Buffy' does was my immediate reaction to, and part of why I love it. Having the hugely intense emotions of late teens/early 20s characters literalised as fights & power-ups is just brilliant.