Sarah's Reviews > Grandfather's Journey

Grandfather's Journey by Allen Say

Jan 31, 2011

bookshelves: asian-american-rll-528, picture-books

I really loved this book. Simple, concise prose and gorgeous illustrations tell the story of the author’s grandfather’s life between Japan and the United States. Say’s award-winning illustrations have the soft coloring and style of old photos, which lend to the theme of a nostalgic look at Say’s own history, beginning with his Grandfather’s journey to America in the early part of the 20th century. This would be a wonderful inclusion to an author study of Allen Say as an important author and illustrator, in a 2nd-4th grade classroom. I would absolutely pair this with “Tea with Milk,” which continues the story of Say’s mother, also an Asian-American torn between her love for her first home, America, and her second home in Japan.

A quick note, I was surprised to find out that this book is considered to be fiction, even though it seemed to me to be informational/ non-fiction. Perhaps this is because of when the book was published, and a different determination of what was fiction or non-fiction/informational. I am not sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grandfather's Journey.