Heather's Reviews > The Charlatan's Boy

The Charlatan's Boy by Jonathan Rogers

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: youth-fiction
Read in January, 2011

I've always had a soft spot for Young Adult fiction. I still love to read the books I grew up loving: Anne of Green Gables, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Nancy Drew, to name a few of the series I enjoyed. Well, this book is NOTHING like those! But different isn't a bad thing. Different is definitely good. In fact, one of the most meaningful lines in the book says, "It just goes to show what fear of the unknown will do to a feller." In addition to being a great story, The Charlatan's Boy is peppered with thoughts and ideas such as this.
The story itself caught me from the very first page. It is unique, for sure, and interesting. The writing style is skillful, purposefully rustic, and definitely well-written. The themes of identity and honesty from someone who isn't sure about either lends a different perspective. This story commends integrity without preaching it. Perfect for young audiences that are just forming their own opinions and character.
It is overall a very interesting and enjoyable story that has more to offer than just fluff! Looking forward to the sequel coming out sometime this year. And yes, I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Charlatan's Boy.