Elizabeth Scott's Reviews > Cleopatra: A Life

Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff

Jan 31, 11

I didn't realize how little was actually known about Cleopatra until I read this biography, which deserves all the praise it's gotten. So much of what I thought I knew about Cleopatra is just myth and I love how Schiff shook all of those myths open and showed that we know basic facts and wouldn't presume how or why things happened the way they did, just offered possibilities. Cleopatra has been demonized and--more often--glorified to the point where she's more than a woman, she's a super hero, and Schiff shows why that happened, as well as what little can be seen of the truly extraordinary but still human woman Cleopatra was. An excellent example of what biography should be like.

Also! Bonus points for the lovely cover because--well, hey, who doesn't like a pretty cover??

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleopatra.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margie L (new)

Margie L I just got this book because of the cover!!! I know as a reader, teacher and librarian you should never judge a book by its cover but I loved the cover:) I will read it next!

Elizabeth Scott LOL, Margie! ITA that you shouldn't judge by a cover, but when they are as pretty as this one, it just screams Read Me Now! :-)