S.'s Reviews > Roseflower Creek

Jan 31, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2011

I finished this book several days ago but could not for the life of me figure out how to rate it. There was much to dislike (in terms of subject matter, not author's skill) and yet I couldn't bring myself to wholly dislike it. This raw but engaging novel dives into subjects and situations many people refuse to acknowledge and, though hard to read some scenes, the graphic descriptions are needed to set the frame of the story and remind us that things like this sometimes really do happen. It is heart-breaking but delivers a powerful message of hope, forgiveness, and compassion and is not heavy-handed in its attempt to do so. The story is believable, characters are well-explored, and the author is successful at capturing the feel of the impoverished rural 1950s south. The dialect may be difficult for some to follow but is authentic. Regardless of all that, I read books for the same reason I watch movies - to either learn something or to feel happy or entertained. Since this book accomplished neither goal, I felt I could only give it three stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roseflower Creek.