Linda's Reviews > Women

Women by Charles Bukowski

F 50x66
Feb 03, 08

Read in December, 2007

This book was about 85% done and then... I just put it down. It was beginning to seem like a waste of time and energy. So many women, so much booze, and one stinking degenerate to tell me about it all.

But then I came across an LA Times Book Review of "Pleasure of the Damn: Poems, 1951-1993" (which was going to released the following week). The reviewer said some really harsh things about Bukowski and his place in the literary pantheon in LA. After that, I was inspired to finish reading this book. I wanted to assess for myself Bukowski's strengths and weaknesses as a writer.

And... I found myself loving the book, almost in spite of myself. Yes he's an alcoholic and complete filth. But it doesn't, in any way, come between him and his art. I felt like I always understood where he was coming from even if I didn't agree with it. That's quiet an accomplishment! There are some writers I love and I love their characters completely but it's not always clear what's going on in that world. Not so with Bukowski. I really appreciated that.

Another word about the writing style: very "male."

And lastly, Bukowski gives a sense of place. (I notice that with Angelino writers and American writers in general more so that their European or English counterparts.) There is a definite time and setting where it all happen. LA in the 70's, Venice Beach. I love that!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women.