Livia (Olivia)'s Reviews > The Breadwinner

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis

Jan 31, 11

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis is really good. In Afghanistan's capital, Kabul Parvana and her family are living in a one room house. The only way Parvana can go outside is with her father to help him walk. One day Parvana's house is invaded by the Taliban and her father is taken to jail. Without him her family can't make money for food, so Parvana's mother and her mother's friend Mrs. Weera deside she will shave her hair and wear her brothers head. The next day she went and sold some of her fathers things to make money. She continues to do this for a very long time, I'm not gonna say the ending ;).

I like all the characters, my favorite one is the "window woman". I liked the part when parvana found her friend Shauzia who is also pretending to be a boy to get money for her family as well and they begin to work together. I don't like the part when their in the stadium and the cut peoples hands off. It made me sick to my stomach. The setting was okay I'm not how I feel about it. The theme is really good, I liked it very much. I hope it will alert more people about poverty, so they can help people in need.
The End.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Breadwinner.