Andrea's Reviews > Policing the Crisis: Mugging, the State, and Law and Order

Policing the Crisis by Stuart Hall

Jan 31, 2011

bookshelves: democracy, discourse, theory
Read in January, 2011

A monument to collective work and monumental in scale, this is a book I shall be using and thinking about for a very long time. Starting from a media panic in the 1970s around mugging, it spirals out and around to the changing world of Britain from the 50s to the 70s, the Black Power movement, the union movement, the student movement, the earthquake happening at the the very roots of the working class. I finally begin to understand Thatcher, though it is too early to cover her rise to power. I did not agree with all of the analysis of course, especially relating to Althusser, but what I loved was that there was never an easy resting on theory, but a deep respect for the historical, cultural, even geographical here. It is a brilliant example of how to do deep research, to build context, to look at how media and government and power are crafted and manipulated, to look at the manufacture of consent, to look at racism as a structural rather than a individual issue...extraordinary. It is an extraordinary piece of work, and one well worth the long haul to get through. It is difficult and long, but accessible I thought, though in one or two sections it does get into rather esoteric points that Marxists were fighting at the time, but never more than a few paragraphs, and of course, that is just another flavour of the time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Policing the Crisis.

06/02/2016 marked as: read