okyrhoe's Reviews > Bad Karma

Bad Karma by David Safier

Feb 08, 11

bookshelves: bookcrossing, germany
Read from January 31 to February 05, 2011

I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but it was a a quick read (hardcover version at 219 pages, but with large type) with a straightforward narrative that doesn't get too complicated. Overall not particularly challenging.
A few times I was reminded of Nick Hornby, but without his wordiness and lacking the nuanced value judgments in his novels. Some of the plot elements were too obvious - all these coincidences - but of course it's "karma" at work.
Certainly the morality is simplistic, and there's no need to be well-read in theologic or philosophy, whether Christian or Buddhist (Buddha is a recurring character). It's all very straightforward, plot-driven rather than a novel of ideas, and no complex interpretation is necessary.
Still, there are some good moments. I especially liked the pro-vegan & anti-vivisection arguments which use humor rather than dogma to advance their logic: "Who wants to eat (the reincarnated) Aunt Agatha?" [vs. "Who wants to eat a cow?"], or the more subtle "How egocentric we dead people are! I'd spent the whole time beefing about the lousiness of life after death, but life before death was almost as tough for those left behind."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Karma.