Judy King's Reviews > The Diary of Mattie Spenser

The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas

Feb 03, 11

Read from January 31 to February 02, 2011

I've read Sandra Dallas before - and I like her books about ordinary people in the most "ordinary" of places, the Midwest.

The second half of the book MORE than made up for the few slow bits of the beginning. First book I've cried over for a long time.

I've often marveled at the strength, courage and old fashioned gumption -- both from the tales within my own family (one great grandmother married, moved from PA to IL and there lost her first five or six children to illness and traveled by train to western Iowa and had another family of six there --. Another's husband was abusive, drunk, and she ended up raising her family alone while he continued to return and try to take whatever cash she had accumulated and at one time tried to take her house. Another's husband died, leaving her with 6 sons from 6-14 -- she raised them by taking in sewing.

Read this book. It tells an amazing story...surely these people can't be fiction???!!!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Mattie Spenser.

02/02/2011 page 165