Judy King's Reviews > The Diary of Mattie Spenser

The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas

Feb 03, 11

Read from January 31 to February 02, 2011

I've read Sandra Dallas before - and I like her books about ordinary people in the most "ordinary" of places, the Midwest.

The second half of the book MORE than made up for the few slow bits of the beginning. First book I've cried over for a long time.

I've often marveled at the strength, courage and old fashioned gumption -- both from the tales within my own family (one great grandmother married, moved from PA to IL and there lost her first five or six children to illness and traveled by train to western Iowa and had another family of six there --. Another's husband was abusive, drunk, and she ended up raising her family alone while he continued to return and try to take whatever cash she had accumulated and at one time tried to take her house. Another's husband died, leaving her with 6 sons from 6-14 -- she raised them by taking in sewing.

Read this book. It tells an amazing story...surely these people can't be fiction???!!!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Mattie Spenser.

02/02/2011 page 165

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam I too gave Mattie five stars. Your grandmother, God Bless her is also a heroine. I would love to have known her. My grandmother was also married to a man who worked very little, drank too much, but thankfully did not physically abuse Gramma, mentally, I am sure. Never did she complain, and kept that poor farm in Indiana going, raised sever very successful children, and loved me to pieces. I miss her so. I am lucky that I have a wonderful husband. You and I would have made wonderful friends to Mattie, and she would have been an inspiration to me. Blessings, Pamela

Judy King Pamela she would have been an inspiration to us both! I'm glad you have a great husband. I've not been so lucky that way...made it 15.5 years with the first. only about 4 with the second -- who also "drank a bit" I just couldn't deal with that...Let me know if you find other books that we "sisters of the soul" need to read!
Judy

message 3: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Judy- Have you read anything good lately? I have read a few since "Mattie" but nothing worth mentioning. Just finished "Gone Girl" Good grief- it was hard to get going at first, and then, it took off like a streak of lightning. Left me shaken. A dark read, but keeps you going.