Kate's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Feb 21, 11

Read from January 31 to February 07, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Wow...I am shocked that this book received such a high rating.

I would rate this book 2 stars because I found it boring and I could have stopped reading this book at any point and been okay with never finding out who Tita ended up with.

The only reason this book earned 3 stars from me was the element of cooking. As someone who enjoys cooking as a hobby I understood a lot of the symbolism (Like Water for Chocolate). I could also see how your emotions effect the food that you cook and how the food that you cook can effect your emotions.

I read this book for a book club and I will be interested to see what the discussion is like but I won't recommend this book as a leisurely read to any of my friends.

I think the book would have been better had I known from the beginning the Esperaza was telling the story, and if, like her family recipes being passed down from generation to generation, these stories were being passed down and exaggerated over the years.

I do know one thing for sure after reading this book...I want to eat Quail in Rose Petal Sauce :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.