Gregory Marris's Reviews > Cranford

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell

Feb 05, 2011

bookshelves: classics
Read from January 31 to February 03, 2011

Surprisingly I enjoyed very much following the 'stitched up' lives of the old dowagers of Cranford. Although these characters seemed very oppressed by the social codes they lived by, Gaskell manages to squeeze the humour and emotion out of each one of them. I found the language beautiful and submerged myself in the conversation style of old.

Cranford is a strange world populated only by women(or so it would seem for there are some men about the place)who live and die by their self-inflicted social class etiquette. Although their actions often seemed harsh they are also deeply infused with kindness and consideration for the residents of their rather isolated town. I loved the 'Elegant economy' of keeping two candles at the same height and yet only ever burning one at a time. This is so typical of this novel.

I am returning more and more to Classics. There is a precision and descriptiveness in many a turn of phrase, often using much vocabulary that has since fallen from favour. I do so wish my memory were such that I might on occasion, appropriate such prose language...In fact that was a part of what I loved about this novel - the appropriate choice of words they were wont to use - one must never risk being vulgar must one?!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cranford.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Ooh, Cranford! *giggles* *covers mouth with hand* *flurries with fan*

Don't get your bonnet caught in the pages.

Gregory Marris Oh dear!I profess that there is much todo today over which bonnet a respectable young lady should support in public (only after midday of course!). Your good self having the fortune to offer the wisest council of our dear village, I shall be ever so grateful of your kindest direction in such a delicate matter as this.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul I have one word for you: frills! Frills, frills, frills.

Oh, and lace. Lace, lace, lace.

Oh, and corsets. Tight, tight, tighter.